The work you do as an attorney is full of difficult choices and high standards of conduct.
Unfortunately, these rules and expectations can get extremely complex. Most lawyers take great comfort in being able to rely on outside advice when navigating the ever-present ethical challenges that go hand-in-hand with the practice of law.
Ethical dilemmas can be a stressful area for most lawyers—absent trusted legal ethics counsel.
In high pressure day-to-day legal practice, some ethical red flags are not always easy to discern and can too easily be overlooked. You need an outside perspective to better understand what your options are and how various obligations apply to the specific situation. In the practice of law, it’s not always easy to find approachable and knowledgeable guidance in matters relating to ethics and professional responsibility.
You Don’t Want To Find Out The Hard Way That There Is A Gap In Your Knowledge.
My Legal Ethics Practice Is Based On A Simple Philosophy
Prevention and Mitigation Are Powerful Tools
If you’ve ever had a minor issue spiral into a major one, you understand the value of prevention and mitigation. No matter what your issue is, smart proactive choices almost always save time and money. My legal ethics philosophy also includes the following:
- My approach in legal ethics—a field known for rigidity—is to keep an open mind. I prefer to think through your entire situation, looking for possibly better options than what is immediately evident.
- Taking a creative and proactive approach in managing risk. This is often done by scrupulously executing a set strategic plan. In many matters of ethics, how you handle a challenging situation can have a dramatic influence on the outcome.
David A. Lewis Law PLLC Provides Smart Representation For Legal Ethics Issues…
Throughout The State Of New York
You’re a lawyer or law firm that may have strayed from the rules. This has put your career and business at risk. You need thorough and carefully considered guidance to get you back on the right track. This can include taking a holistic approach to your problems by enhancing awareness and fostering a culture of ethical compliance.
The Exclusive Area Of My Practice Includes Legal Ethics And Professional Responsibility
You may be thinking, “Why should I consider hiring David Lewis when I could research this on my own?”
That’s a fair question. The most significant reason is that I have served on the very committees and professional organizations that help to set the standards for attorney ethics. Trusted advice from someone who has helped others successfully resolve similar matters can be extremely valuable.
David A. Lewis Credentials and Past Experience
- Chair of the New York City Bar Association’s Professional Responsibility Committee for a three-year term.
- Member of the New York City Bar Association’s Legal Ethics Committee
- Member of the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Standards of Attorney Conduct (COSAC). This Committee was largely responsible for New York’s change from the old New York Code of Professional Responsibility to the New York Rules of Professional Conduct based on the format of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Founding Member, New York County Lawyers Association Ethics Institute, Board of Advisors
- Vice-Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Task Force on Non-lawyer Ownership.
- Ethics Advisor Appointed by the President of the New York State Bar Association to serve on the New York State Bar Association’s Special Immigration Committee created to help develop, improve and expand the standards for competent legal representation of immigrants in the United States.
- Member of the New York County Lawyers’ Association’s Board of Advisors for the Ethics Institute and for its Task Force on Professionalism.
- Member of the New York City Bar Association’s Council on the Profession.
- Legal Ethics and Civility panelist for the mandatory CLE program offered by the Character and Fitness Committee in the Appellate Division’s First Department.
- Adjunct Professor of Law for Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility at Cardozo Law School.